Monday, July 5, 2010

Timberline.

After seeing Portland, I made the short drive out to Mt. Hood National Forest, home of Timberline resort, the only ski resort in the US that's open alllllllll summer. It was great - lots of sun, mushy snow, and other travelers doing the same basic thing I was. The first day I just got up there and looked around. I drove around the forest a bit that afternoon, then went back to the resort and camped in the parking lot so I could ride first thing the next morning.
The lifts go above the clouds here.
Timberline lodge, at the base of timberline resort and 6,000' up the side of Mt. Hood (just above the treeline) was the coolest ski lodge I've ever seen... and I've seen my fair share. It was built by the CCC during the Great Depression, but it looks like it could be much older than that... just look at those stone doorways. The center of the lodge was a massive hexagon shaped room with a stone pillar/fireplace in the middle going up 3 stories.
The first floor, and said fireplace.
The outside of the lodge. In the winter, the snow drifts get so deep they can bury the entire front of the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment