Friday, July 23, 2010

More Mt. Shasta

Sunset at my campsite on the slopes of Shasta.
My campsite came complete with a rock garden. This might be unusual anywhere but here - Mt. Shasta and the accompanying town are home to a strong mystical tradition. Okay, that's the nice way to put it. There's a lot of weirdos here is another way to say it. The mountain is associated with various myths, the most hilarious of which is a race of people who live inside the mountain and are only visible in the fifth dimension or something like that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemuria_(continent) (read the section on Mt. Shasta). The town is an enclave for the hippy dream, fringe religions, and people who want to make a buck off tourists via quirky gift shops. Some people say it's the water that makes people here different - the town's drinking water runs straight down from the mountain, naturally pure and untreated. On a side note, I've found I'm getting spoiled by the great-tasting water around the region, and when I have some "city water" with lots of chlorine in it, I really notice the difference.
Venus and the Moon at dusk from the mountain. This picture shows the effect of "planetshine", or earthshine as it was introduced to me by a friendly local man who knew alot about astronomy. It amazed me at first - I may have learned about it in the past and forgotten, but I really couldn't remember ever seeing it before. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthshine#Earthshine
Random photo of a stream with some unusual tufts of rushes in it (back at Burney Falls).

No comments:

Post a Comment