
Well, we had a great time seeing our cousin Evan's graduation from Occidental College in Los Angeles. On saturday we had a smooth flight out to LAX. Uncle Jeff and Aunt Fusako rented a... shall we say, comfortable?... villa in the 90210 area code that happily fit the 10 of us for the long weekend. It was great to get basically all of the family on my mother's side together in one place - doesn't happen very often. I brushed up on my pool-boy skills, Keith salivated over the million-dollar cars, and we watched Evan don the black robe and square hat and get handed that infamous piece of paper that says something like, "go get a job already." The commencement address was given by David Brooks. I thought he did a damn good job - lots of interesting things to think about and a good dose of humor. The ceremony was long but not as stuffy as Dickinson's had been. A professor falling asleep repeatedly on the stage provided comic relief. We'll see how it compares to my Alma Mater's ceremony, which I will be at next weekend.
I was amazed by the smog that clung to the city. I nearly missed the Hollywood sign off in the mountains because of the haze. Despite this, there are some very pretty parks just outside of the city proper - Keith and Aunt Fusako and I took a very nice short hike in Franklin canyon. I also got to see my friend Kevin for roughly 20 minutes on Santa Monica Blvd... long story. But good to see him, he's a natural fit in Cali. Another flight back to Philly on tuesday, and now it's crunch time for roadtrip preparations.
No comments:
Post a Comment